Walsh, RAAM 2006 Competitor, 5th Place

At 2:24AM CDT on June 23, 2006, rookie competitor Bryce Walsh completed the RAAM 2006 Ultracycling Competition in just 11 days, 15 hours, and 53 minutes. After penalties are applied, Walsh’s official finish time is 3:09AM CDT, June 23, 2006. He maintained an average speed of 10.87 MPH with a total off-bike time of 41 hours and 34 minutes.

He takes 5th place.

Congratulations to Mr. Bryce Walsh. You earned it, man.

Bryce has the best fans in the world! Thank you all for your insanely beautiful support.

Tags:

34 Responses to “Walsh, RAAM 2006 Competitor, 5th Place”

1. Jim Rippie June 23, 2006 at 2:13 am #

Enjoy the salt breeze, Team Walsh.

What an accomplishment.

So proud of you guys.

“Least sleep of any Enduro finisher!” Fifth place!

There’s no words. Congratulations will have to do.

2. Lon and Jane Kratochvil June 23, 2006 at 2:26 am #

CONGRATULATIONS BRYCE!!!

You’re Awesome! Congratulations to your crew! What an accomplishment. Enjoy your victory and get some rest!

Take care,
    Lon, Jane and kids

3. Jim Ryan June 23, 2006 at 2:34 am #

GREAT RIDE BRYCE!! Congrats on a monster showing.

Thomas and crew – you did an amazing job; great support is key to a great ride, and you delivered.

Now go get some rest.

4. Andrew Pawuk June 23, 2006 at 2:52 am #

Bryce – Congratulations on your EPIC ride!

Great job Thomas and crew supporting Bryce.

5. Jim Rippie June 23, 2006 at 3:07 am #

A few of us were lucky enough to catch the RAAM cam at the right moment and watch you up on the podium, Bryce.

Great team, stupendous accomplishment.

Thanks to Dave Carter (and others?) for making the web go and making it possible for us to share the daily news.

My grandfather used to say, “that’s a helluva thing.” I suppose so. What words can you wrap around something like this?

Good on ya, Bryce. Rest easy tonight.

6. Tony Mellsop June 23, 2006 at 3:46 am #

You bloody beauty

Well done my friend.

Now you can go sleep for a week or so.

Thought for next year and PBP.
    What say you and I do a team trial and you can do the first lap, like from Paris to Brest and back to Paris.

Look forward to what you have to say/write on this last week.

You have done what a lot of us only dream about and done it well..

7. Dennis Treitman June 23, 2006 at 5:07 am #

Way to go , Bryce. Get some sleep and start the return trip.
    See you at Cal’s

8. Fern & Ardell Bunde June 23, 2006 at 6:28 am #

CONGRATULATIONS BRYCE ON A JOB WELL DONE. WE ARE ALL SO PROUD OF YOU. NOW TAKE THAT MUCH NEEDED REST. FERN AND ARDELL

9. Tim Duffy June 23, 2006 at 6:46 am #

Bryce:

Amazing! You put in a stellar performance in what has to be the toughest event in the world. I’m getting ready to ride my first 600K tomorrow in Wisconsin, and I know that when I feel like throwing in the towel, it’s going to be a real insipiration that you just did about 9 600Ks in a row with only 40 hours off the bike. The consistency and durability of your performance really shows the physical abilities and character of you and your crew.

Congratulations!

10. David Huseth June 23, 2006 at 7:40 am #

I’ve added you to my Pantheon.

11. Bill McLaughlin June 23, 2006 at 7:59 am #

Remember: SPF45 🙂

12. Bill McLaughlin June 23, 2006 at 8:01 am #

Remember: SPF45 🙂

All of those usual ‘well done’ phrases taken together are not nearly enough.

13. Joe and Bev Solseng June 23, 2006 at 8:02 am #

Great ride, Bryce! Your endurance is something to be proud of and for others to emulate. You and your team are inspiring. Enjoy your victory! Joe and Bev Solseng

14. Rob Berube June 23, 2006 at 8:03 am #

Way to go Bryce and Crew!!!

15. Dan Kimmel June 23, 2006 at 8:05 am #

Great Ride!

16. Brian Bird June 23, 2006 at 8:09 am #

Way to go, Bryce!! Also, congrats all around to Thomas and your entire TeamWalsh crew for a job very well done. Go easy on the Nathan’s dogs, get in some well-earned R&R then get back to ChiTown safe and sound. I second Dennis’ suggestion – see you @ Cal’s!

17. Mark Verwoerdt June 23, 2006 at 8:41 am #

Standing ovation to Bryce and Crew! (OK, it’s just me in my cubicle…) A very inspiring ride.

18. jon londres June 23, 2006 at 9:13 am #

great job bryce and crew! you guys are amazing.

19. Plan B June 23, 2006 at 9:17 am #

CONGRATULATIONS to Team Walsh from the Plan B team.

a stellar performance. an incredible feat. an epic battle. a beautiful saga.

20. David Morrissey June 23, 2006 at 9:24 am #

Congratulations to Bryce and the crew! Bon courage!

21. George W. Bush June 23, 2006 at 9:36 am #

5th place! That’s revisionist history!. I’m tired of these activist judges trying to tell me who won and who lost. I’m the Decider and I have decided. Bryceman, 1st Place! Souza? Looza! Juarez? Had the border patrol pick him up about a half hour ago. He’ll be in Nuevo Leon before lunch time. And I’ll deliver justice to the rest of these extremist cyclists. Just you wait and see. I’m proud of you Bryceman, all the folks back home in Great Fork are proud of you and America is proud of you.

22. nt June 23, 2006 at 10:02 am #

Congratulations! This is a highly awesome accomplishment!

23. Schuy June 23, 2006 at 10:12 am #

Hooray and Congratulations. I wish I had a tenth of your determination.

Now can I get my sailing crew and blender back ; ) ?

24. Rob Johnson June 23, 2006 at 10:19 am #

I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.
    But at the end of your first RAAM,
    A nice soft bed,
    Now THAT’s worth a DAMN!

(with apologies to Joyce Kilmer and anyone else who has ever written poetry)

Great job Bryce!

25. Dennis Thompson June 23, 2006 at 10:58 am #

Congratulations, Bryce…from relies in East Grand Forks, Mn. So much
    fun to follow this journey.

26. Lisa Niebuhr June 23, 2006 at 12:03 pm #

Bryce, I am gobsmacked. There are no words to express how amazing you are!! You have my most humble admiration!!!

When I grow up I want to be just like you!!!

XX, Lisa

27. Patrick Montag June 23, 2006 at 12:49 pm #

Congratulations,

Impressive first RAAM, Kudos to you and your crew!

-Pat Montag

28. Roger Lehman June 23, 2006 at 1:44 pm #

Congratulations Bryce. Really an unbelievable accomplishment. I think the CD skipped. Hope you have alot of time to relax and take in what you just pulled off.

29. David Blum June 23, 2006 at 1:55 pm #

Bryce,
    Oh my god, Congratulations.
    Come back to Chicago and i’ll mix you a Vodka-Gatorade *yecchh*
    How about a nice cold beer?

30. Lake Cycling June 23, 2006 at 2:26 pm #

Congratulations Bryce.
    Everyone here at LAKE is inspired by your performance.

31. scott June 23, 2006 at 4:04 pm #

now …..BEER!!!!!!!

32. Emma June 23, 2006 at 5:50 pm #

congrats!

33. Eric Boettner June 24, 2006 at 12:10 pm #

wow man. thats amazing, you earned it. Thats some incredible endurance. I ran around my block yesterday, about a mile, and almost died. Couldnt imagine 3000 of those on a bike…. insane.

34. Michael Koppelman June 25, 2006 at 11:08 pm #

Hey, Bryce, welcome home and well done, man. Thanks for the amusement at your expense. It sounds like a lot of suffering to me! When you have some time let me know and I’d like to interview you about this experience on my podcast.